Sunday, December 7, 2014

Last letter...

{This was Kendric's first email tonight. Needless to say, we were not amused... :) }

3 John 1
13 I had many things to write, but I will not with ink and pen write unto thee:
 14 But I trust I shall shortly see thee, and we shall speak face to face. Peace be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Greet the friends by name.
{This was a follow up letter, sent much later in the evening - and after a little threatening from Mom, Dad and his siblings...}
Family & Co. 
So it is really, really weird to know that this is my last mission email ever. And I'm sorry about my previous "letter". Haha I thought it was pretty awesome! And to be honest that was all I was planning on sending, but mom and dad's reactions weren't too encouraging. So I will repent right now, and write this letter! ;) 

*Okay, this is for reals. A typhoon is hitting my area right now, and it might blackout any second. So I'm gonna make this a bit quicker than I had planned.*

For the last few weeks I have been putting off packing my luggage, but today my old comp, Elder Bausing called and told me how he had put if off and didn't realize how much stuff he had accumulated over the last two years. Haha so I'm a little scared!

Okay, so the rain has died down a bit, so I think I can take my time with this last part. I just want to bear my testimony to you all. I know it's cliche, but it's my last letter:

For the past two years, oh man where do I even start. I don't know. I have been asked a lot why I chose to serve, both investigators and members have asked me that. And at the start, I would only say "because that's what's expected of young men in the church". And that's true, that was honestly the number one reason why I chose to serve. I have been well-groomed to serve, from my childhood to teenage years I was well-groomed by loving parents, leaders and teachers. And as a result I knew what was expected, and always had it in my mind that I would serve. And so I found myself in a jungle, being eaten alive by mosquitoes and eating baby ducks. And at the start that sense of duty kept driving me "I need to finish, I can't go home early, I need to return with honor", thoughts like that. But as my mission evolved, and I got put in more and more difficult situations, my reason for serving gradually changed as well. I have developed a deep love and appreciation for my Savior and Redeemer, and the reason why I serve is because I love Him. I am so grateful for Him. I have been so blessed because of these two years. I cannot, and I don't want to, think about where I would be had I not served. This has brought me from darkness into the light. And I have seen my fair share of trials on the mission, like every other missionary does, but I am so grateful for them. Looking back I can see now how each and every challenge built me. I know God lives, and He is love. I know this Church is true, and the only true church on this earth. I know my Redeemer lives, and loves me. I know that when we are in the darkest abyss there is always the light to bring us out. Heaven, elysium, valhalla, whatever you wish to call it, exists, and exaltation in our Father's Kingdom is a very real thing, and we are candidates to that glory with the seeds of godhood in each of us. This is my testimony. In His holy name, even Jesus the Christ, amen.
Love,
Elder Rand 

No comments:

Post a Comment